Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, December 14, 2009

what a day






Well, today went nothing like I had planned or thought it would. I had taken half a day off work so I could take Hunter to the doctor. He has been coughing and wheezing again and pulling at his ears some. I wanted to have him checked out before we left for Florida and South Carolina. I had planned to come home, eat some lunch, go to the doctor, go get my license renewed, and then get Hannah. The only thing I did was take Hunter to the doctor.

When I got home Mrs. Tidwell said that Hunter was still asleep. Derrick had called me at school around 10:15 to tell me he was asleep and had not had breakfast. I told him to just let him sleep and make a bottle so Mrs. Tidwell could feed him if he woke up before I got home. (Derrick had to be at work at 11 and I did not get off until 11:30 so Mrs. Tidwell came to sit with Hunter for us. I loving having good neighbors.) When I got home Hunter was in our bed asleep. He as starting to stir a little so I went to get him. Derrick had him under all of the covers. I thought he would be burning up. When I picked him up he was not hot at all. He was freezing cold. He looked at me for a minute and then put his head down on my shoulder. I told Mrs. Tidwell it was a good thing I already had an appointment because he must really be sick now. I checked his temp and is was 95.1. I thought something was wrong with my thermometer, so I got another one and it was still 95. I found a third one and it was still 95 no matter how I checked it. I called the doctors office because not only was he cold he would not really wake up for me. They told me to warm some blankets and wrap him up, to feed him a bottle and to give him a treatment, then call back and tell them what his temp was. I did all the things they asked me to and his temp for still 95. When I called back they said to come on in. I was trying not to freak out, but was VERY scared and worried about my sweet Hunter bug.
When I got to the office they took me straight back to a room and the doctor check his temp with two different thermometers. It was still 95. She went out to talk to the other doctor and Nurse Heather came in to check his temp with two other thermometers. It was 95 on one and 96 on the other. The doctor came back in and told me she wanted me to go straight to the emergency room to have him checked out. She said that sometimes when you have an infection your temperature will drop, but usually not in babies his age. She said he had hypothermia. I was shocked. How could he have hypothermia? I left the doctor's office and went straight to Vanderbilt ER with my sweet bud. The nurses and doctors were great. They did several test and after a few hours his temp was up to 99.7. They said better to be up than down. After several more hours they determined that he had bronchiolitis. I was glad we got to come home and did not have to be admitted and spend the night.
I was glad to have the girls from my team and Chip to come and sit with me. I am so blessed to work with such wonderful people. I love you all.
Please pray that Hunter gets better quickly. I am taking tomorrow off to stay home with him.

1 comment:

Jacqulin said...

Poor little boy... he makes me want to cry!
~Jacqulin